Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Dave Ramsey and Tesla

I believe in the thought that if you work really hard, put Jesus first and material things last, it is okay, to want things, and to dream big. I also believe that being an open book is OKAY. I tell too much about myself and my life, but hey, that is what this blog is for. I do not regret any of it.

 For the longest time, I refused to allow myself to want. I felt that it wasn't a pleasing trait, and I was in a way, going against everything Jesus taught.

I have learned over time that, it is okay to dream wild dreams, to plan large plans and to want a good life. Just as long as your foundation is solid and built on Christ like principals.

So, where am I going with this?

For the past year and a half, my husband and I have been doing the Dave Ramsey method for our finances. One day, we ordered to set, sat down at our computers and created an excel spreadsheet. Every month, we pull out cash for groceries and food, gas and "fun money". This helps to keep up accountable and to not use our debit cards so freely. It was tough in the beginning, but the rewards of this system have been mind-blowing! We are able to save money, build our $1000 emergency fund in savings and still have some left over for fun.

In the beginning, we laid out all of our budgets, from debts to income. With us, this is very tricky. My husband has been in school for the past 5 years, so my job has been the only source of income. Saving money, or even having any let over at every pay period was tough. But we make it.

We have a plan to pay off all debts in 3 years: student loans, personal loans from needing additional income while Colby has been in school, cars and credit cards. We will stick with the Dave Ramsey method and "snowball" our debt. Smallest debts first, then lead up to the larger one. If you have not ever licensed to any of Dave Ramsey shows/podcasts, please do so today, learn how to manage your money, and become millionaires in no time.

One day, Colby and I were road tripping and listening to one of Daves podcasts. During the "millionaire hour", people from all over would call in and explain how they paid off their debts, how much money they bring in every year and how much they are worth. It is staggering the amount of people who only are making $80k-$100k that are now debt free, and millionaires, all due to Daves system.

This really sparked our interest. So, we have a plan, and we have stuck to it so far and come January, when Colby graduates and finally starts working, we will still continue to live like we are on one income, and use all of his earnings to pay off our debts. We are doing now, what no one wants to do, so that later, we can live like everyone wants to, debt free.

Lets now move on to my next adventure. Tesla. For years, I would see people at charging stations, literally charing their car, and think, "Who are these weird people, with electric cars that I am sure cost an arm and a leg, and why would they want a car that only functions off a battery!" And for years, I have always dreamed to be able to afford one.

Last year, Elon Musk and Tesla, released their newest addition to the Tesla family. The Tesla Model 3, an affordable, state of the art, electric vehicle. The Model 3 starts at $35k! With Tesla offering an all electric, beautiful vehicle, at a rate that common people like myself can finally afford, how could I not be excited. As of late, I have researched and planned the process of one: paying down my car to trade in and two: saving up to reserve and make a downpayment.

Thankfully, I live by the gospels principals and Dave Ramseys. I won't move forward on my dream until it makes sense financially. It is an amazing feeling every month to slowly be able to put money aside to make my dream a possibility. Any extra money left over, or that I do not use to gas, etc., gets to go to my dream of not only owning an electric vehicle, but to no longer have to wait at a gas pump, no more oil changes, no more tune ups and the biggest deal to me, is no more CO2 emissions.

What Tesla offers is green energy and less damage to the environment that gas and oil produce over time. If little old me can help just by switching vehicles, sign me up!

If you are interested in learning about Dave Ramsey, click here: Dave Ramsey
If you are invested in learning about Tesla, and the moves the company is making to sustainable energy, click here: Tesla
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Toast to Class. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig